The Great Acetonitrile Shortage

Now here’s a news item that I’m pretty sure you haven’t heard about unless you work in or near a laboratory. We’re in the middle of an extreme shortage of acetonitrile, a common solvent. This has been going on since back in the fall, but instead of gradually getting better, it’s been gradually getting worse: major suppliers are sending out letters like this one (PDF).
What’s the stuff good for? Well, it’s used on a manufacturing scale in some processes, so they’re in trouble for sure. Acetonitrile is a good solvent, since it’s fairly powerful at dissolving things but still reasonable low-boiling. (That’s the nitrile functional group for you; there’s nothing else quite like it). It’s no DMSO, but then again, DMSO’s boiling point is three times a lot higher, and compared to acetonitrile it pours like pancake syrup. Nobody does industrial-scale chemistry in DMSO if they can possibly help it.
Those properties mean that acetonitrile/water mixtures are ubiquitous in analytical and prep-sized chromatography systems. This is surely its most widespread use, and is causing the most widespread consternation as the shortage becomes more acute. Many people are switching to methanol/water, which usually works, but can be a bit jumpier. But that’s not always an option. Labs working under regulatory-agency controls (GLP / GMP) have a very hard time changing analytical methods without triggering a blizzard of paperwork and major delays. In many companies, it’s those people who are first in line for what acetonitrile may turn up.
So why are we going dry on the stuff? There seem to be several reasons, one of which, interestingly, is the summer Olympics. The industrial production that the Chinese government shut down to improve Beijing’s air quality seems to have included a disproportionate amount of the country’s acetonitrile production (for example). A US facility on the Gulf Coast was shut down during Hurricane Ike as well. But on top of these acute reasons, there’s a secular one: yep, the global economic slowdown. A lot of acetonitrile comes as a byproduct of acrylonitrile production, which is used in a lot of industrial resins and plastics. Those go into making car parts, electronic housings, all sorts of things that are piling up in inventory and thus not being turned out at the rates of a year ago.
So taken together, there’s not much acetonitrile to be had out there. We’ve seen some glitches like this in the past, naturally, since chemical production can depend on a limited number of plants and on raw material prices. When I was an undergraduate, I remember professors complaining aboiut the price of silver reagents during the attempted Hunt brothers corner of that market, for example. But this one will definitely be near the top of the list, and it could be months before the Great Acetonitrile Drought lifts. If you’ve been saving some in your basement, it’s time to break it out.

111 comments on “The Great Acetonitrile Shortage”

1. R says:

Good post. Its shocking how the whole chemical industry can be affected by something seemingly minor and unrelated like the Olympics air quality. And also, its another impact of that rather overused phrase “the current economic climate”.
    Perhaps it is the incentive chemists need to move away from reliance on organic solvents, particularly in analytical chemistry, wherever possible. Nothing like a cost incentive to make people go green!

2. Calvin says:

We’ve also noticed that diethyl ether is quite tricky to source at the moment. I’m not sure if that’s connected to MeCN shortages. Bit of a pain really since ether sometimes purifies compounds better than other options. Oh well.

3. Tim says:

Is this shortage going to stop production or just effect research? Will this lead to a price rise in medication?

4. HelicalZz says:

My recollection is that we went through a similar ACN shortage in the early 90’s. I was doing a lot of solid-phase oligonucleotide synthesis then, and ACN is the primary solvent for many of the reagents. Orders got quite expensive and were often delayed, as they are now. I think it only lasted for 3-6 months before supply settled down.
    Zz

5. MTK says:

While many vendors are out of acetonitrile, some still have acetonitrile with TFA added. So for those of you looking for some for HPLC purposes you might check into that.

6. emjeff says:

Very interesting. The analytical method I used for the drug I studied in the ’90s for my doctorate used acetonitrile – I went through tons of the stuff. I’d be hurting big-time if there had been a shortage…

7. Sili says:

So did noöne see this coming at the time of the Olympics and buy up futures(?) in AcN?

8. Sleepless in SSF says:

We do LC/MS protein analysis using ACN/water solvent systems. We actually had to break into one of three one liter bottles we have had kicking around the lab for years. Someone wrote a mid-2000 date on them, but nobody knows how long they were here before that. Fortunately, we do 75 um scale chromatography at 500 nl/min so a liter will last us a couple of months. Still, it would be nice if our pumps didn’t rely on a split, since they are actually consuming ca. 150 ul/min and sending most of it to waste. I bet companies like Eksigent that make splitless nanoflow pumps are loving this.

9. Chemjobber says:

There are ACN futures? Really?

We’ve been having to scramble to source ACN for our analytical labs. It seems to be more unreliable than anything; we placed a big order (for us, a couple pallets is a big order)to an alternate vendor when our regular vendor told us they would be out, then the regular guy ended up having some after all.
    I remember a similar problem with CCl4 in the early 90’s; I was doing a radical chlorination and all of a sudden we couldn’t buy it for a couple of months, and the rumor was that it wasn’t going to be produced anymore. My boss ended up bringing some back that he scrounged on a company visit. Ultimatley, I did ‘go green’ in that I didn’t use CCl4 after that, although I can’t attest that the alternate was any better.

11. CMC Guy says:

A general rule (unwritten?) in Process Development is to vet routes for potential unstable or restricted supply sources of materials as could save headaches down the road by choices of more readily available options although not always possible to control everything. Unfortunately ACN is a seemingly common solvent that does have underlying source issues as this post points out with the convergence of factors that made it worse (and hopefully temporary?). Usually there is correlation between price and security of supply and currently many proposals have had to add surcharges for the cost increase of ACN used in a production. THF and MTBE can have issues however normally not too bad for large scale work.

12. sequiterpene says:

Calvin, Im not sure whats going on with the diethyl ether shortage. We couldnt get it back in November but luckily I got a Winchester just in time to start some Grignard reactions. Deliveries started again in January but prices from Fisher are something silly like 40 quid a bottle. Im in the UK so I dont know what the supply situation is like elsewhere- no one has really mentioned it as acetonitrile is the main concern at the moment…

13. MTK says:

Chemjobber,
    Sili may or may not have been kidding, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if there was such a thing as acetonitrile futures. You can bet on just about anything in the financial markets.
    My favorite is weather derivatives. They’re evidently quite popular as risk management tools with companies whose business or costs may fluctuate depending on weather. Farmers, theme parks, heating oil companies, etc.

14. andreew says:

Any chance of taking the waste solvent from HPLCs and rotavapping it into technical grade acetonitrile for in house use?

15. Richard says:

Acetonitrile forms an azeotrope with water so if you tried to rotavap your HPLC waste you’d end up with acetonitrile containing at least 14 % water.

16. Jordan says:

Great summary, Derek — but I have to call you on this line:
    It’s no DMSO, but then again, DMSO’s boiling point is three times higher
    Saying that one boiling point is X times higher than another is meaningless unless its on an absolute scale. Convert the boiling points to Fahrenheit and you’ll see what I mean.

17. hibob says:

I heard a rumor about the problem back in October via VWR and decided it was worth ordering extra to last us a while. Our lab (all peptide synthesis/purification) should be OK until sometime in feb, and then we are ska-rewwed just like everyone else. The tricky problem my boss is having now is diplomacy with other PIs who want to borrow a bottle “just until our order arrives”.

18. I have overheard “we can’t get any ACN” from the mass-spec group in my department – they CAN get the 95% stuff but not the HPLC-grade they want. Obviously purifying it themselves is beyond them. Amateurs.
    Andrew/Richard – is removing that last 14% water that hard? Drying agents? I have no idea – but it must be possible I would have thought?

19. AndrewC says:

Rotovap won’t work, you will need to distill it. We have thought about it here but not worth it. I am surprised that some of the solvent waste companies aren’t doing this, the current price for AcN is $1000/case of 4 4L.
    We tried MeOH but it just wouldn’t work for our compounds and we were able to pick up enough AcN to last us a few months. Hopefully this shortage doesn’t last long but the price will not go back to the pre-summer level.
    A

Right you are, Jordan – this occurred to me during the morning, and I’ve added a fix.

21. milkshake says:

We got only one case of acetonitrile (4x4L) over the last month and half, Fisher is making all kinds of promises about delivery date then never makes good on them. Other suppliers (VWR, Aldrich, Mallinckrodt) are even more hopeless. Given that our consumption average is 20-25 cases per month, is is miraculous we lasted until a week ago but now we are out. I asked a colleague to use MeCN+methanol 1:1 mix instead of MeCN for running prep HPLC to extend our last few bottles as much as possible.

22. Jose says:

Time to fire up a catalyst- bed filled tube furnace!
    Catalytic Synthesis of Acetonitrile by Ammonolysis of Acetic Acid
    Abstract
    The influence of principal parameters [snip] on the yield of the desired product was studied in the reaction of acetonitrile synthesis from acetic acid over g-alumina. [snip] In this work it has been demonstrated that initial temperatures of 360-380°C are optimum to effectively carry out the process of acetonitrile synthesis.

23. Ed says:

We’re using 50% MeOH, 25% THF, 25% MeCN as a substitute for 100% MeCN in HPLC applications – thus far it works just fine.

24. KC says:

@#22 – Jose, that sounds a heck of a lot like something slavemastersVarious Academic PIs would put their underpaid workforceGraduate Students to. What good are flunkies if not for producing solvents en mass? 😉
    A couple oligo mfg’rs have used the shortage as an excuse to jack around prices. I think others, still, did the same, but just didn’t apologize for it.

25. milkshake says:

I don’t like using THF for prep C18 HPLC: unstabilized THF grade has lots of peroxides, the stabilized one has BHT. I dont like to have solvent-related residues in my purified stuff, TFA is often bad enough.
    Generally one would like to use a water-miscible solvent with low viscosity and as good UV transparency as possible. This pretty much limits the choice.
    Part of the difficulties with Fisher is related to the fact that they rejected a train-load of acetonitrile in January that did not meet the specs.

26. nitric oxide 99 says:

I’ve had a lot of success in the past using isopropyl alcohol for purifying relatively hydrophobic peptides with C18 HPLC columns. Obviously your flow rate needs to be attenuated (typically to around 70% of whats normal with MeCN).
    Since the shortage I’ve also been considering other options – I’m thinking about exploring the use of IPA/MeOH mixtures as an MeCN alternative… Anybody have any info?

27. Fred Drinkwater says:

My old industry used to get hit by things like this. A resin factory in Malaysia (if I remember right) burned down, and basically shut down all integrated circuit packaging worldwide. An earthquake in Taiwan shutdown Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp. (TSMC) for about 10 days – they were the #1 fabrication line for small companies and experimental parts. (And my wafers were on the line when the quake hit. They all survived; lucky me.)

28. Don says:

Found this post through Google Alert. I work at one of only two plants in the US that purifies aceto. The only reason aceto supply is short is because the market for acrylonitrile is horrible (acrylo mainly used in cars and homes) and the plants are running at reduced production rates. Aceto production is a function of acrylo production. Make less acrylo and you make less aceto (normally).

29. N. Pelosi says:

The shortage is George Bush’s fault (and that brooding Cheney guy). Should clear up soon, since he is back in Texas.

One Vendor says ..
    Acetonitrile Status Update, 01/12/09
    As part of our effort to keep you informed about the impact of the ongoing global Acetonitrile (ACN) supply shortage, EMD Chemicals Inc. would like to take this opportunity to provide a brief status update.
    Based on the most recent trends in ACN raw material availability, and the continued low demand for Acrylonitirile (which is the core commodity of which raw material ACN is a by-product) in the plastics and fibers industries, it is expected that the shortage may continue through at least the 3rd Quarter of 2009.
    In order to minimize the adverse impact of this supply shortage on our customers, we are continuing to actively investigate additional options for mitigating the effects of the shortage.
    EMD Chemicals will continue to keep you informed regarding any changes in the status of the market and our ACN service levels. We appreciate your continued patience and understanding during this challenging period

31. Lucifer says:

Pfizer and Wyeth in a tree

32. Jose says:

WSJ says Satan is telling no lies. Sweet jesus, mary and joseph.

33. baby bird says:

Use MeOH:
    at least here it seems that pretty much all the HPLC here will work with MeOH as the organic modifier instead, of course this is no good if you are gmp glp and have chosen acetonitrile, you will have to do method development. LC-MS with APCI definately prefers Acetonitrile, ESI doesn’t seem to mind either way. don’t know anything much about big molecule HPLC but don’t see why it won’t work.
    historically MeOH was used as much as acetonitrile then everyone kind of forgot about it, probably because people are lazy and just run acetonitrile gradient as the mobile, because since Uni they always have and it works just fine.
    MeoH has a low viscosity compared to IPA, has a very short wavelength cut-off, doesn’t collapse RP columns so frequently and is cheap.
    I have bought MeOH futures

34. Martin says:

We use acetonitrile/water for all HPLC as we do mixtures of peptidic and non-peptidic stuff. Reason we don’t use MeOH is that it’s not compatible with our freeze driers (at least the ones with -90 degree C traps). MeOH/water mixtures don’t stay frozen. If your method lets you heat the whole wet mess on a rotavap to remove the solvent then fine, use methanol. But if you have a peptide that you want to keep cold and lyophilise and get a fluffy powder out the end, methanol ain’t your friend.

35. Sili says:

I have no idea, if there’s such a thing as AcN futures. But if the Olympics had any influence on the shortage, someone should have seen it coming and tried to make a buck.
    Even if it’s ‘only’ a byproduct of acrylonitrile someone should have noticed that that there’d be a shortage when the financial downturn set in.
    I’ll be optimistic and hope that this does indeed lead to less waste and more recycling.

36. frozenraisin says:

I’ve used MeOH instead of MeCN for some HPLC method. The main problem is the high UV cutoff for MeOH. At higher wavelengths, I didn’t trust the HPLC purity anymore.

37. Abhiram says:

Can anyone let me know how long does this crisis lasts.? What would be the price in February.? Is this the right time to stock more at this high price.?

38. milkshake says:

I had a nice conversation with an engineer from Waters about their prep C18-column being used with methanol, and he suggested that we use thermostat heater for the column to compensate for drawbacks of replacing MeCN with MeOH: higher pressure, propensity of compounds to precipitate on the column, prolonged retention times (due to higher polarity of MeOH). He also advised us that the lifetime of heated columns will decrease as they degrade faster at higher temperatures.
    For the time being we are using 1:1 MeCN+MeOH mix instead of acetonitrile, without the heating, and this mix actually does require somewhat steeper gradient (at least by 10%) to achieve comparable retention times but so far the precipitation or high pressure are not a problem
    Also, Mallincrodt/Doe Ingalls gave us a valid quote until Jan 30, but they QUINTUPLED their price within two weeks since their quote and they even did not bother to tell us that we are charged $708 per case (4x4L) until after they delivered the product. This is a poorly-devised shake-down attempt, and I am afraid our Accounts Payable folks will not be pleased with such chutzpah

39. Bruce Hamilton says:

The main reason I use acetonitrile for HPLC is that the pressure doesn’t change so much during a gradient, with collateral problems.
    Most HPLC books have nomographs that give equivalent solvent strengths for CH3CN:H20,
    MeOH:H2O, and THF:H20 use in reverse phase mode.
    The issue of selectivity can often be overcome by blends, and is covered in standard texts like “Practical HPLC Method Development ” by Lloyd R. Synder and others.
    I’d be pretty annoyed at opportunity pricing by a chemical supplier, and would start on the path of finding a long-term alternative supplier.
    My acetonitrile supplier has rationed supplies to historical users ( setting a monthly maximum of 70%, based on last year’s consumption ), and is charging near-normal prices. That means they keep my business, but it seems there are, at least, several Wall Street chemical companies around.
    Bruce Hamilton

40. Yoav says:

Well , friend of me and myself have noticed the
    problem before it apear and we bought a vast quantity from China and we are now sell it in the USA and Europe.
    I can tell you that most of the ACN is produced in China as it is a by-product of Acrylonitrile .
    The HPLC grade how ever , is producing in the US, Europe and Israel.
    And China is a vast market for it.
    But, their is another thing, and this , that Acetonitrile can be produced industrially without any conection to Acrylonitrile , this has never been took place because when the product was a by-product of something else it was not economic to produce it.
    Now it is and indeed we are start produce it on this February on.

41. Kicker of Elves says:

Your english is frightening. I wouldn’t buy MeCN from you. You sound like someone who would sell me water from the sink in an unlabeled bottle.

42. Yoav says:

to number 41
    If your judgment of either to buy or not from a person
    Based on his spelling mistakes or dull languish .
    You are in trouble and must look for a good shrink.
    Anyway, I was and am not going to have a polemic with you.
    Shame on you

43. Pierrade says:

To Yoav:
    I won’t comment on your “languish”, however I will tell you this: if I understand well you are a speculator and had a great intuition on the ACN shortage. Well done buddy! but maybe you shouldn’t brag about it on a chemistry blog… you won’t get much recognition from us end users, after all you are making money off of us right now!

44. Nigel O Body says:

In the uk at least, Remsol seems to eb tryign to pool resources to recycle HPLC waste MeCN
    Thanks
    Nigel.

45. PHARMA1 says:

Changing the wash solvents and needlewash to MeOH made no difference, even when using CH3CN in both mobile phases. It’s a quick way to save on solvent for now, without having to change any of the methods.

46. ashraf says:

I agree with 45, it saves a lot of MeCN to wash with MeOH or IPA, especially that the washing step requires a high percentage of MeCN.

47. AMIT SINGH says:

We are one of the leading manufacturers of acetonitrile hplc based out of India , we had anticipated this shortagwe and procured a lot of raw material which we are now converting into HPLC grade, we can supply the quantities out of India , kindly send your enquiries to amit.singh@rfcl.in

48. amit singh says:

To 28, Don,
    When do you anticipate that the demand for acrylo to pick up , and what abt the plant which was closed down due to hurricane , has it now started.

49. yoav says:

to Pierrade
    Respect your answere and yet, I did not not publish my E-Mail and did not try to make profit from what I was saying.
    Also, I am and was not a “speculator”,
    I bought for my own production and sold to customers friends ( yes friends) who need it and why not?
    Is it a crime to sell with a reasonable profit ?
    Come on.

50. Lorna Bankole says:

Whatever next? Will the acetonitrile shortage mean that on a worst case scenario people will be made redundant!
    Please do not let this happen, we need our jobs as a lot of us have mortgages to pay!

51. Mark W says:

It takes a shortage to focus the mind. For years solvent recyclers for HPLC have been sold on environmental grounds with little effect. Now things have changed somewhat! I hope after this that they continue to be used

52. Steve says:

I think it is shocking, absolutely shocking that people haven’t considered ACN recyclers before.
    Ever since I got in to this industry I have been thinking about the environmental impacts of HPLC. I know it’s not suitable for gradient elution but in my experience the bulk of the problem will be caused by those using the isocratic method.

53. Tom Dirmyer says:

I have three containers available. Call me at 281.558.4474.

54. Jose says:

“Ever since I got in to this industry I have been thinking about the environmental impacts of HPLC.”
    Eh? I think driving a car has a much larger impact?

55. James says:

We can offer ACN regularly in quantity 50mt per month. just contact me at remyinfortec@gmail.com

56. James says:

57. Good news from China!
    The shortage may be not as bad as correctly analysed by Derek at that time. We had been able to develop this product and can now supply up to 100MT Acetonitrile per month. Specs at our webpage. Meryer Technology is a Sino-US joint venture, ISO certified, and the run by German Management (that is me 🙂
    Any enquiries welcome, we are also listed at DWCP, another good tool to find suppliers…
    Heads up!
    Jurgen Kramer
    Shenzhen Meryer Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.

6/F, Building 4, Zizhu Science & Technology Park
    Dongchuan Road 555, Minhang District
    Shanghai, China 200241
    Tel:+86-(0)21-61259668
    Fax:+86-(0)21-61259137
    Mobile: +86(0)13681866200

58. a. says:

any suggestion for a solvent that works as good as ACN in water mixtures and that it is ok for freeze drying? I need it for C18 RP-HPLC.
    Thanks!
    a.

59. Karl says:

Acetonitrile is still limited in China also in the world for the time being.
    We are able to supply Acetonitrile produced by Sinopec and CNPC regularly.
    Specifications:
    Junwee Chemical Co.,Ltd.
    Tel: +86-(0)571-56850355 85808638
    MP: +86(0)13588069005
    Fax : +86-(0)571-85808639
    E-mail: karlwang@junweechem.com; karlwangcc@gmail.com

60. Acetonit says:

My firm is currently in the process of sourcing HPLC Grade Acetonitrile directly from a manufacturer in China. We are looking at getting a couple of 55-gallon drums from our internal use. If anyone is interested, we might be able to bump up our order to cover your demands.
    It will take approx. 45 days to get it to the US by ocean since it is a hazardous substance after which we can bottle it in 4-lit units for shipment (or ship the whole drum to you).
    You can forward your inquiries to me at acetonit09@gmail.com

61. Zhang says:

We can supply ACN HPLC grade 99.9%min from China. it’s similar than Merck, Fisher but the price will be much cheaper than them. we are on stable basis 5000L to offer monthly. if you are interested pls send your inquires to baonnenuit@hotmail.com thx Zhang

62. Zhang says:

63. frank says:

we are direct sales agent from china ACN HPLC grade 99.9% producer. if your are interested, pls contact us though hnharvest@gmail.com, tks and best wishes

64. mmmmmmmm says:

Has anyone taken up these .cn hawkers on their myriad offers?

65. processchemist says:

@64
    usual problems: low prices for medium-high quantities, not so easy to assess how much the sample (few liters) will be representative of the bulk you’re going to buy (to be payed in advance) etc etc etc
    Fast note: none of these folks offering the product are on my list of checked-reliable cn suppliers and I fear that the shortage is attracting vultures of any kind….

66. milkshake says:

I can’t call these acetonitrile merchants “vultures”. When our previously reliable solvent vendor informed me that they raised their price fivefold, and we will have to pay $710 per case (4x4L) of ACN, and – if we ask nicely – we may get it from them within a month or so, then I say more power to those enterprising people from China and India. Anything that can undercut the price-gougers. So far this acetonitrile saga made an impression on me that the invisible hand of free market was picking our pockets.

67. processchemist says:

milkshake, I said “I fear”, not “I’m sure”… validating a new asian supplier is not an easy and fast process (for me) and I just started working on it. About the invisible hand I totally agree with you: exactly the same attitude from our usual suppliers on this side of the atlantic.

68. frank to milkshake, says:

milkshake,pls contact me by hnharvest@gmail.com, we can provide you ACN

69. frank to milkshake, says:

milkshake,pls contact me by hnharvest@gmail.com, we can provide you ACN

70. frank to milkshake, says:

milkshake,pls contact me by hnharvest@gmail.com, we can provide you ACN

71. frank to milkshake, says:

milkshake,pls contact me by hnharvest@gmail.com, we can provide you ACN

72. kerris says:

We ordered a nice amount of ACN and MeOH from Pharmco (both HPLC grade). The prices were good. I checked the ACN quality on the mass spec and it is fine. The MeOH, however is different. There is a huge peak @ 172 m/z. The MeOH interferes with my analysis as my internal std quan peak is 173 m/z. Boo
    Just FYI.
    kerris

73. Amit Singh says:

The shortage is slowly coming down with good availibilty from asia , however the quality of all the vendors is not as per the acceptable norms and the user needs to be carefull in asessing the quality, we have supplied few containers of bottled HPLC AC-N to USA and EU and the customers have appreciated the quality and service along with the competitive pricing.
    We have increased our capacity to meet the increased demand and would solicit all the enquirires.
    Kindly contact on amit.singh@rfcl.in

74. oxbridge says:

I recently developed a method on a Fused core column (ascentis express) from Sigma. I managed to get my run time down from 24 mins to 10 mins, saving a huge amount of solvent. Even better, the column is lasting 4 weeks instead of 2! Everyone in the lab is happy!

75. Prof D says:

(1) Systems to recycle MeCN are available:
    B/R Instrument Corp. (Easton MD) 9400 or 9600 automatic distillation system;
    CBG Biotech, (www.cbgbiotech.com) Benchtop Solvent Recycler.
    (2) Appreciate any word about new/continuing supplies.

76. milkshake says:

These recyclers based on simple distillation are unsuitable because they cannot provide MeCN above 85%. You need above 95% acetonitrile ramp to wash off the accumulated greasy crap from C18 column at the end of the run.
    The difficulty is that acetonitrile forms azeotrope with water at atmospheric pressure. Since azeotrope composition is dependent on the pressure, reduced pressure distillation can probably be used to provide a lower water content but the produced acetonitrile will be still wet. Also acetamide impurity formation due to acetonitrile hydrolysis could be a concern.
    I suggest switching to MeCN+MeOH mix 1:1, it has worked quite well for us.
    Fisher and VWR started delivering MeCN again (after 1-2 month delay) but the prices went up.
    Also, someone made comment here about extending life of columns from 2 to 4 weeks. I hope you are talking about normal-phase silica (that is very sensitive to irreversible contamination with polar crap). But in case of reverse-phase analytical C18 column it should last at least half a year, more typically 1 year of heavy usage. Our very expensive prep-HPLC columns last us for several years. Of course users have to be warned not to inject samples containing NaOH, TBAF or concentrated hydrazine – otherwise the columns will go bust after few runs…

77. vijay says:

any one interested in technology for manufacturing acetonitril?

78. Karl says:

We are supplying Acetonitrile produced by Sinopec and CNPC regularly.
    In order to establish a good long-term relationship, we welcome our friends, who have demand on Acetonitrile as well as other projects, drop by our company.
    Junwee Chemical Co.,Ltd.
    Tel: +86-(0)571-56850355
    MP: +86(0)13588069005
    E-mail: karlwang@junweechem.com

79. Ras says:

Apparently, SFC is the next new thing in separation of chiral compounds in pharma. Uses carbon dioxide, less viscous, cheaper, not to mention greener than acetonritile.

80. Brian says:

We are able to order ACN in bulk if anyone is still looking for this item. It is 99.875 and we do have COA’s on hand. Please email with any info about your current situation.
    Regards
    brian.testa@bbcus.com

81. Thomas C says:

I have a close friend in the industry who works for Ineos. Everybody knows there have been rumors circulating that Ineos will be following in Lyondell’s footsteps and declaring bankruptcy within the near future. My friend caught wind that they will be entering receivership by the end of the month, and will announce the closing of any non-profitable operations. Acetonitrile definitely fits into the category of non-profitable, considering they can;t even fulfill any current commitments. Be smart and stock up on your future needs now – things are going to get much worse. Don’t expect the low-quality Chinese product to get us through the market that is ahead of us all.

82. Rowan says:

To quote Mr. R: “A cost incentive to make people go green”
    I can’t help asking myself an ethical question here. In light of China’s decision to stop production in order to improve air quality, if this country is a major source that we have been using then was China manufacturing acetonitrile in an unethical or environmentally harmful manner? It would be interesting to read a journalist’s review of this topic.

83. We I learnt about the acute shortage of acetonitrile,and the industry suffering on account high cost of production and testing,Now,We at Azeocryst Organics Pvt Ltd are manufacturing Acetonitrile of commercial as well as HPLC grade and supplying to local industry at reasonable price.

84. Scott Madda says:

I am a business developemnt manager for a company that specializes in taking byproduct and waste Acetonitrile streams and recovering to Tech and HPLC specifications. We specialize in servicing pharmaceutical manufacturers,styrene manufacturers, etc. who are looking to reduce disposal costs and convert materials to revenue streams. My orginization provides this service in the US as well as UK. If you are interested in learning more about the streams we have available for sale or would like us to consider recovering your material please contact me at smadda@capitol-environmental.com
    Scott M. Madda
    Capitol Environmental Services, Inc.
    815-404-9453

85. S D says:

AVAILABLE ACETONITRILE HPLC GRADE FROM THE BEST MANUFACTURER IN INDIA,ORDER FROM OUR NORTH AMERICA OFFICE ,AVAILABLE 1 FCL @ USD$130/4 LITER BOTTLE,DO CALL 1 604 6497827

86. Milind says:

Shortage days are back,The availibility was just or a short time ,Rumors of INOES comming back have failed,they cant keep up there promise,and heard many clients have burnt they fingers with Chinese stuff (be very careful)

87. milkshake says:

I just re-ordered 11 cases of HPLC acetonitrile at $176 per case (4x4L) from one major US company. Its the price we have been paying with them since January 2009.
    Don’t buy from unknown vendors that demand arm and leg (and your firstborn son too). Stockpile for few months of usage instead because then you have time to shop for the best prices.

88. William says:

We heard about a few different systems, that would allow us to recycle our ACN. so we checked with the few companies mentioned in these postings. We worked with a guy at CBG Technologies named Chris Hall 800-941-9484, this company knows their stuff. They actually set us up on a trial with one of their systems. they sent someone out to install it and train us. I am very happy to say we purchased the system and are no longer subject to market shortages. we are able to recycle 90% of our ACN for reuse. Our purchasing costs have dropped almost 90% and we also have a much lower disposal volume. We purchased the F800 model and could not be more pleased!

89. William says:

90. Shawn says:

to Milkshake #85,
    Could you please tell me what company were you orderd from? The price of $176per case is pretty good, by calculating the price per bottle is just $44, I assume you have made a mistake.

91. Bruno Teles says:

I’m student of Chemical Engineering and I’m doing my Dissertacion about Acetonitrline. If someone could help me with some informations I would apreciate. Thank you

92. milkshake says:

Shawn, I cannot give you their name because this would certainly make them very unhappy, discussing their discount pricing in public. But let just say it is a major US supplier of lab chemicals and lab equipment, and they are very motivated to keep our business so they provide their HPLC grade acetonitrile to us at prices close to their production cost. I realize this is the most likely explanation, since the other offers we got were in the range $300-600 per case.
    (They could certainly make more money by selling the acetonitrile for higher price, and we try not to abuse this relationship and we still cut on our consumption, etc.)
    But the prices are going down, but I don’t think is gonna be $100 per case of HPLC acetonitrile again any time soon

93. Shawn says:

Thanks Milkshake for your information, your ordered price is still surprising me, this price is at the level of former normal price, even lower. We have just purchased 1case(4*4L bottle) at the price of USD130per bottle, what a big difference.

94. Leigh J says:

If any of you have found any real deals, please pass the information on to Stewart Smith via email. His email is sjsmith@email.arizona.edu He is one of the university purchasing agents.
    We are one of many labs in need of acetonitrile to continue our research, so any help would be appreciated in locating a reasonable priced supply. Thank you!

95. SERENA says:

Hi everyone,
    Good news , acetonitrile prices have come down drastically and now we are able to offer ACETONITRILE GRADIENT GRADE @ USD 70 per 4 lit in UN approved packing.
    However the chances are that this availibility is short lived as some of the manufacturers are going for shut down due to annual maintainence .
    Kindly contact for ready stock at Starbucks.chem @gmail.com

96. Martin says:

so grateful that Derek posted such a good weblog here.
    yes, Serena, acetonitrile prices did slump from a high level. but in past few days, the price was going up slowly again.
    we providing acetonitrile from sinopec, you could contact us at info@orchid-chem.com

97. COCRCO says:

Shown, would you plz contact me for introducing our acetonitrile HPLC grade? we can offer acn at lower pirce than you currently buy but never $176 per case it’s unreasonable.
    baonnenuit@hotmail.com

98. COCRCO says:

baonnenuit@hotmail.com

99. HEMAL SHAH says:

at moment ,the price of Indian brands like RANKEM /MERCK etc have quite lucrative like US $ 40 PER PACK OF 2.5 LTR

100. SERENA says:

We can offer ready stock acetonitrile HPLC at USD 70 per 4 ltr.After the initial slump the prices are rapidly climbing up again.Contact for ready stock and immediate delivery on Starbucks.chem@gmail.com

101. NoACN says:

Is this acetonitrile shortage over yet?

102. scott says:

can any one tell whats the exact price of 1200L of hplc acetonitrile.i need the same

103. SERENA says:

We can offer ACETONITRILE GRADIENT HPLC @ USD 25 per lit , fob india.
    Contact on Starbucks.chem@gmail.com

104. COCRCO says:

Hi Scott, currently we can offer 1200L of acetonitrile HPLC grade at Price $18 kindly contact me for details. remyinfortec@gmail.com

105. milkshake says:

we are currently paying $176 for 16 liters (case 4x4L) of HPLC acetonitrile, with two major suppliers in US. Both of them offer free shipping.

106. tomasz says:

Can anyone make me an offer for HPLC grade acetonitrile, taking into account delivery to Poland?

107. COCRCO says:

tomasz, we can offer ACETONITRILE HPLC to Poland. regularly we export to Rotterdam and Humburg. the price to Poland $14 per liter if interest plz feel free to contact us. remyinfortec@gmail.com

108. Tom Boyd says:

Hello Everyone,
    I work for We Are Green and we just reclaimed Acetonitrile at Purdue University and they love it. This same unit reclaimed Xylene at the University of Illinois at Chicago that is now being used at their hospital.
    We provide the service of supplying clean solvent all the time by providing you a machine to test and use with no up-front costs. Please check out our website http://www.wearegreen.us . Please keep in mind that we have developed a desktop that is currently not on the site. We will have the first two in a matter of days. The fisrt one goes to U.I.C and the second to Purdue. Feel free to call me anytime.
    Feel free to call Adam Krajicek (Hazardous Materials Chemist) at Purdue at (765) 496-3072 to confirm.
    My number is (310) 927-4783.
    Tom Boyd
    General Manager
    We Are Green

109. Tom Boyd says:

Please see my comment on the blog. We reclaimed Acetonitrile for Purdue University and they loved it. Hopefully we can help you out.
    Tom Boyd

110. Tom Boyd says:

Tom Boyd

111. nabil says:

subject: looking for information about
    acetonitrile
    hi every body,
    i really like the information i read there.
    i’m chemical engineer student and i’ am looking for information about acetonitrile. It’s my project this year.
    I have to look for information about a new process with direct synthesis in order to run a simulation for a plan in aspen simulator.
    I would like to know if some one can help me with inofrmations to collect data.
    i am planing to schedule my work in:
    Market study ( supplyer, consumption,
    price …)
    Chemical study
    and runing a simulator after designing plant.
    I hope find someone who will help me by providing website adress or useful datas.
    thx