“I Will Cherish the Personally Autographed Book Forever. . .”

The research scientists in a drug company often don’t mesh well with the marketing people (two cultures, and and all that). For an entertaining look at why this might be the case, try this from BNET Pharma, and just shake your head in amazement. . .

25 comments on ““I Will Cherish the Personally Autographed Book Forever. . .””

1. RB Woodweird says:

The smell on my nose will linger forever!!!!

2. startup says:

Yeah, well, the thing is – it pays off. If I were a smarter man I would have licked my CEO’s ass from day one.

3. HelicalZz says:

I especially enjoyed the chapter on silicon NMR.
    Zz

I wonder if his core values have anything to do with how he actually manages. If this is representative, I wonder if reality does, as well.
    Do you think this might have something to do with the problems businesses are having?

5. arc says:

Why can I hear the voice of Michael Scott when I read Mr. Stefano’s comments?

6. eugene says:

Someone who writes a book about his childhood being a lesson for others in leadership, and then gets all these blatant, brown-nosing comments from underlings, has to raise alarm bells.
    This is from his website:
    “Steve doesn’t just write about leadership–he lives it each and every day. His career has forged new paths–for one of the biggest companies in the world. His take on leadership has been proven in the second toughest arena of all, the market. One day, let’s see him run for office.”
    Didn’t someone during his childhood say that you should be judged based on the things you say and do and not based on untrue statements found on your personal websites? Oh right, there was no internet back then.
    Well, just don’t run for office dude.

7. alig says:

How did his miss out of the CEO race at GSK?

Does he realize this reads like an Onion article? Self-parody at best is “sincerity with a motive” (as someone else put it quoted in DFW’s essay on TV), and that’s if you intended it. At worst, it’s…well, kind of like this incident.
    If there’s a management seminar on this, will it be pro or con?

9. SRC says:

Outstanding. I learned a lot. Better than Harvard or McKinsey. Makes me hope even more that we do have chance to work together.
    Next sentence: “Attached please find a copy of my resume.”

10. Jose says:

You really should not have posted that. I really didn’t think my opinion of executives or marketing could possibly get any lower, but now….

11. Distantdiamond says:

You get the impression that if he was chocolate he would eat himself.

12. Rebecca says:

This is pretty much true of the marketing people vs. the rest at ANY company (speaking as someone working in publishing…). Those who can, do, and those who can merely be randomly enthusiastic, market.

13. AR says:

Good lord! Just as I believe all the potentates were gone from the world here is one in our very midst. Complete with eunuchs to watch over the harem.

14. BCP says:

Funniest thing I’ve read in a while.

15. Bored says:

“Every night, my kids plead with me to read them a bedtime story from your book. My son loves the table of contents! Way to go Mr. Stefano!!”

16. milkshake says:

I suppose Mr Stefano suffers a massive hard-on by standing in front of a mirror

17. DrSnowboard says:

HelicalZz,
    Your comment made me laugh out loud, so funny, so true! I read it twice to believe how it was changing my life!
    What’s silicon MNR?

18. RB Woodweird says:

As of this morning, Amazon still has only 4 reviews for this book, all from toadying sycophants. Come on, people, get busy! Where is the creativity of the old Pipeline crowd? It’s not over until WE say it’s over! Did we give up when the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor?

19. sychophant says:

And this kind of brown nosing doesn’t go on in science? Big pharma isn’t full of kiss ass scientists, laying such accolades on their group leaders etc. to climb the corporate scumbag ladder.

I guessing that they don’t feel the need to write books in the creative writing section discussing their managment styles, so there isn’t the need to make your psychological trials into public knowledge. (That may be because no one thinks that a researcher’s life is interesting – oh well.) Also, there’s the pesky problem of reality to deal with – marketing depends on what people think (which is a subjective thing in the best of times and is inherently hard to measure), while the research end is almost exclusively dependent on easily measurable outcomes (so that sucking up to your boss won’t help you as much if you have nothing to provide).

21. dearieme says:

Puke-provoking.

22. Chemgrad says:

Germans?
    Forget it. He’s rollin’.

23. Nile says:

Print this out and keep it in a glass-fronted cabinet with a little hammer on the top and this safety notice on a laminated card:

“In the event that your coworkers exceed their recommended dose of antidepressants, read this out loud to induce vomiting”

24. pjcamp says:

My nipples explode with delight!