A New Med-Chem Reference

Over the past few years, several readers here have recommended Silverman’s medicinal chemistry book as an excellent introduction and reference. I wanted to mention that there’s now a third edition: The Organic Chemistry of Drug Design and Drug Action, by Silverman and Holladay, which has just come out. Well worth a look for that part of the bookshelf.

11 comments on “A New Med-Chem Reference”

1. Mansoon says:

I have had the privilege this past quarter of having professor Silverman as my Sophomore organic professor (its the honors section for chem majors) and I’ve been considering buying this textbook to peruse before taking med-chem with him next year. Now that there’s a new edition out I’ll have to get on that.

2. CMCguy says:

I still have a 1st edition copy I purchased early in my career so guess just like having kids graduate from various levels of education the passing of time is some times marked by new editions of reference books on ones shelves.

3. newnickname says:

I have Silverman 2nd Ed (2004) which is nice to have (for reasons I won’t go into).
    I’ve used the library copy of: Kerns and Di: “Drug-like Properties: Concepts, Structure Design and Methods: from ADME to Toxicity Optimization” from 2008 which I think is also pretty good.
    I guess it’s a catch-up game: Will Kerns and Di come out with 2nd Ed soon? (Hmmm … Kerns is retired and Di is re-located … maybe updated with new co-authors?)

4. Lyle Langley says:

@3, newnickname…
    I would think there should be a 2nd edition of Kerns soon (I helped edit/comment on the new edition – and have the e-edition).

5. Katey Birtcher says:

Happy to have worked on the new edition of Silverman’s book, and happy to say there’s a new edition of Kerns & Di coming as well. Much-anticipated revision for both!

6. Anonymous BMS Researcher says:

@Lyle: I look forward to the new edition of Kerns and Di, the first edition was quite good.
    Will the new edition remedy the omission of entries for “grease balls” and “brick dust” despite the common use of these phrases at Working Group Meetings 🙂

7. Anonymous BMS Researcher says:

Seriously, a major point correctly emphasized by Kerns and Di is that we must not lose site of other properties such as ADME and PK whilst chasing EC50 SAR. As they note, if we optimize purely for EC50 we risk getting stuck in a region of chemical space that binds the target site really really well but we cannot make a drug. We cannot always get around such issues with a pro-drug or some exotic formulation.

8. Secondaire says:

@ #1 Mansoon
    I have had the privilege of being a post-doc in Professor Silverman’s group for the past eighteen months. Editing the index numbering in that book in time for the publisher’s deadline was total murder, but a) it is a really terrific book, and b) Rick ordered lunch for the lot of us afterwards, so no harm, no foul. I hope you enjoy it and his med chem class, if you take it. Stop on up by Silverman Hall if you need help!

9. annonie says:

#8: Only lunch….come now.

10. Secondaire says:

#9: It was a really good lunch, though, believe me. 🙂

@8 “Editing the index …”: If you had used TeX / LaTeX, indexing terms and their pagination would have been automated.
    Yeah, I’m now forced to use POS Word like the rest of you. Dump Word! Use LaTeX! (Yes, it works quite well for chemistry papers, too.)