An AMA

Some behind-the-scenes trouble with WordPress left me unable to log in to the site until now, but I wanted to mention that at this very moment, I’m doing an “Ask Me Anything” on Reddit’s Science section. Drop by and see how quickly I can keep up the typing!

10 comments on “An AMA”

1. Bender says:

Jesus Christ, how many stoners are gonna ask whether you’re holding back breakthrough medical cures with things like marijuana or psychotropics? I know it’s Reddit, but goddamn.

2. Yuri says:

Seems, Derek made the mistake of answering reddit’s questions on 4/20

1. Kirill says:

Nah, it’s their everyday passion.

Icyalex asked: How did you get into drug discovery and what level of degree did you need to start? I’m interested in pursuing this as a career.
    Derek replied: I’d recommend going all the way to the PhD for your best shot. It’s possible to work with a Master’s as well, but you’re always going to have a ceiling over your head. …

On balance, it should be pointed out that with a PhD you might often find yourself without a floor under your feet.

1. Nick K says:

As a PhD in Pharma you may also find yourself without a roof over your head.

4. Chrispy says:

An MD/PhD is the degree to get. I wish that was what I had pursued. It gives you a LOT more options, and someone else pays for your degree. You have to be pretty competitive, though!

1. simpl says:

yeah, I worked closely with a couple of these talented people. They brightened up one’s day, but had too much ambition, the company couldn’t keep pace with them, and they left early.
      One, an engineer, became a consultant, the other a Prof. of medical research.

5. gippgig says:

Off topic, but take a look at doi: 10.1093/brain/awx074

6. Vader says:

My question for you, which I’m posting here because it’s just too snarky for Reddit:

I keep seeing “clickbait” ads proclaiming that doctors in the know aren’t prescribing Metformin any more.

I’m inclined to think whoever is responsible for these should drawn, hanged, and quartered, their workplaces razed and sown with salt, and their families sold into slavery.

So my question is: Do you think there’s really any market for slaves who share genes with clickbait composers?

Eagerly awaiting your reply.

1. user says:

They all taste the same on the inside.