The survey, which includes nearly 6000 responses, representing 16% of the total number of U.K. postdocs, from all disciplines -- not just science -- asked postdocs about their employment contracts, their job experience, experiences within their institutions, their career planning support, training and development, and their career aspirations.
Of those who responded:
- 21% found their current positions by word of mouth only.
- 71% feel they are integrated into their departmental research community.
- 31% don't feel their efforts in managing staff and managing resources are appreciated.
- 58% hope to have a career in higher education in 5 years' time that combines research and teaching.
- 28% responded that they want to pursue a career outside of research.
- 50% say they have a clear career plan.
The report's recommendations are mostly targeted at higher education institutions so they can best meet the needs of research staff. But if you'd like to have a look at the report to see how your answers might stack up against 6000 other postdocs, you can find the report on Vitae's Web site (links to PDF).