Fifteen Minutes Shot

If today’s post didn’t waste enough of your time, here’s another way to carve something out of the economy: name all the elements, in any order but correctly spelled, in fifteen minutes.
I scored a 97 – forgot some of the more recently-named transition metals, and I didn’t even bother with the placeholder names for 112 and up. Enjoy – and if you score higher than I did, don’t forget to note that fact in the comments. Not that I have to tell anyone. . .

17 comments on “Fifteen Minutes Shot”

1. cookingwithsolvents says:

89 in 8 mins 9 seconds b/c I gave up trying to spell some of the Lanthanide/Actinide elements.
    Like….Praseody[b]M[/b]ium? grrrr…

2. anon says:

79. Blanked on some common ones: arsenic, cadmium

3. Sleepless in SSF says:

I am too embarrassed to repeat my score. Suffice it to say, I missed cesium, barium, two of the noble gases, several of the transition metals and all of the lanthanides except lanthanum (which I couldn’t spell). I fear for my cognitive functions; is this what Alzheimer’s feels like? I can’t help but think that this is the legacy of spending all my time working in protein biochemistry over the past 10 years — the only elements that exist are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorus and occasionally selenium. Ack!

4. Bruce Grant says:

Tickled that someone other than this old fossil remembered Tom Lehrer’s wonderful “The Elements” (sung to the tune of “Modern Major General”). Here’s an even niftier video of it…

5. Bruce Grant says:

oops…
    *Here’s* the link…

6. Ron says:

Scored an 89. The only non-f-block elements I missed were the recently named transition metals, bismuth, and thallium. Missed a lot of the f-block metals, though.

7. Fred says:

Well, that certainly defines geek.

8. Yttrai says:

I didn’t do so hot (87) but, shockingly enough, i got Yttrium, Ytterbium, Erbium, and Terbium. Also Gadolinium, which makes sense if you know why i got the four listed above.
    Does that qualify me as geekiest username yet?
    😀

9. syregnask says:

110 of 111 attempted in 12:27 – I misspelled beryllium (as berylium).

10. Greg Hlatky says:

Mnemonic for the lanthanides:
    Caesar pays no poor soldiers except Gauls that defeated his earnest though youthful legions.
    Mnemonic for the actinides:
    The poor urchins never purloin apples cultivated by crafty escapees from medieval noble lords.

11. Sili says:

I got a laughable 87. Most of those from randomly guessing at lanthanides and actinides – it helped when I realised I didn’t have to *place* them …
    Still – I missed: Strontium, Zirconium, Niobium, Molybdenum, Antimony, Barium, Iridium (soooo annoying to know there’s a precious metal missing, but not being able to recall the name), HYDRAGYRUM!, BISMUTH!!, promethium, samarium, Europium *rolls eyes*, Gadolinium, Dysprosium, Holmium, Berkeium (okay I had to look up the spelling of that one), Californium, Fermium, Mendelyevium, Nobelium (and to think I was grabbling for physicists to smack -ium on …), Dubnium, Hassium (odd, I was sure I’d tried that).
    Darmstadtium and Röntgenium, I couldn’t even do from the two letters.
    I really shoulda done ununbisium and upwards – easy points, stupid to miss.

12. Jose says:

Don’t forget Columbium, Wolfram, eke-Silicon and eke-Boron….

13. Rich Rostrom says:

97 exactly. I missed all but one of the a.n. 104+ synthetics (and had one that doesn’t exist); I missed seven of the natural elements (Magnesium, Silicon, Manganese, Rubidium, Strontium, Promethium, Europium).
    I of course had Tom Lehrer’s song running through my mind; it helped quite a bit.

14. Jordan says:

I got 102 of them in about 10 minutes. I blanked on element 102 and on a bunch of the later lanthanides and nearly missed radium. I didn’t bother with a lot of the new elements — I figure that if you can’t make more than 1 mg at a time, it’s not worth memorizing.

15. Ryan says:

114. I forgot Seaborgium, couldn’t figure out Ununquadium, and never knew Darmstadium or Roentgenium. (Not too long ago I set about memorizing the whole table…)

16. Dell says:

116, missing Roentgenium and Hassium.