Why Everyone Loves Us

Excel and Exceed, Y’all

I wrote a couple of years ago about corporate anthems, and my own horrifying experience with one. One of the comments mentioned Pfizer’s “Excel and Exceed”, which was said to have been pulled from YouTube, “possibly out of sheer embarrassment”.
Well, it’s back, courtesy of a disgruntled Pfizer employee. Some of you may well have already seen this one, but if you haven’t, here’s the work of someone with bad feelings about the company, time on their hands, and (most importantly) a copy of the uplifting theme song. I particularly like the Exubera inhaler jokes (bird feeder, etc.) But as for the music, well, you’ve been warned.

15 comments on “Excel and Exceed, Y’all”

1. BFS says:

Then there’s that nasty Alan Hesketh matter….

As you said, “Highway to Hell” would be a more inspiring song, but perhaps it would hit too close to home for Pfizer’s employees and stockholders.

3. lynn says:

That song/music is very disturbing. But I was warned.

4. Distantdiamond says:

Just played it to my wife and she shuddered and said “I really don’t want to be in my own skin right now listening to that!”
    LMAO!

This is what they will play at the opening of the stock market, on a day when Lipitor goes generic. Either that, or ‘Farewell of Slavianka’ by Agapkin.

6. Nick K says:

Seriously, this dreck should not be played to anyone suffering from depression – it could genuinely push them over the edge. Try instead the YouTube video entitled “Pfizer Transformation Gun”.

7. anchor says:

Derek: The music was really uplifting! Do you know who composed it? I mean I was curious If I can use only the music. We all know what is there to know about Pfizer and others, anyway.

8. Ricardo Ros says:

Having been talking to several friends from Pfizer Sandwich lately, all I can say is that if only half of what they are saying is true, the way they are being treated is a disgrace.

Nice one!
    #8 Former colleagues tell me the same thing too, truly shameful. An interesting side-effect of all this has become apparent for GSK in that they’re now finding it surprisingly hard to recruit at the level of “doers” rather than talkers. Unless you were truly desperate, which sadly some people might be, why would want to join a company where you have a high likelihood of being made redundant within a year or two (if you’re lucky).

10. Anon says:

Unfortunately, the music is as catchy as it is cringeworthy. I have been humming it to myself all day, and cursing everytime it pops into my head!

You can bet your bottom dollar that whoever commissioned that is a) still employed and b) paid more than a lab scientist.

12. Nick K says:

I find it most strange that the iconography of Stalinist Russia and Maoist China (uplifting anthems, joyous, multiethnic crowds advancing confidently towards a radiant future) should be adopted by a US company. As with Communism, there’s the beautiful image cynically obscuring a shabby, brutal reality.

13. Vader says:

I think Tom Lehrer can be credited with writing the unofficial corporate anthem for my business.

14. GreedyCynicalSelfInterested says:

I listened and I think I just inoculated.

15. YaYa says:

Sounds like they even outsourced their anthem to GVK