Blog Housekeeping

Thanksgiving Break

Well, as I have done for many years now, I am home today following this well-precedented preparation for chocolate pecan pie. I will post a picture of the end product, which I strongly recommend for its vitamin content and general benefits! Next post here will be on some book recommendations – that will go up either Friday or Monday.

Tomorrow is more cooking. We will be preparing our standard menu around here, and that means roasted turkey (we buy a kosher one, since that means someone else brined it for us), stuffing (my mother-in-law’s recipe, with seasoned bread cubes, onion, celery, apples, whole cranberries, and diced pepperoni sausage (hey, it works), Iranian “morasa pullo” (which is basmati rice with saffron, zereshk (dried barberries), slivered almonds, pistachios, and bits of orange peel), pan-roasted brussel sprouts, satueéd mushrooms with garlic, green beans (some cooked with country ham in them, some roasted without), onions in cream gravy with sage, mashed potatoes, home-made cranberry sauce, and of course turkey gravy. To my American readers who are celebrating Thanksgiving, have a great holiday!

13 comments on “Thanksgiving Break”

1. Nick K says:

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone!

2. Ricky Morse says:

I’ve recently discovered Persian cuisine, and I was wondering if there was any particular cookbook or source of *easy* Persian recipes that you would recommend?

1. Chemist/Cook says:

Persiana:Recipes from the Middle East and Beyond by Sabrina Ghayour is great!

1. Ricky Morse says:

Thanks!

3. 2,2,2,-hexafluoroisopropanol says:

Is the only place to buy a kosher turkey in Boston, the Butcherie in Brookline?

1. chlorobenzene says:

Haha, I think your screenname is meant to be either 2,2,2,-trifluoroethanol or 1,1,1,3,3,3-HFIP

1. ScientistSailor says:

Don’t discriminate against Texas carbons…

The stuffing sounds really good. Have a good Thanksgiving!

5. John Wayne says:

In my head, Derek’s recipe for chocolate pecan pie is in the same format as an Org. Synth. procedure. Happy holidays all.

6. Dr. Manhattan says:

“chocolate pecan pie…which I strongly recommend for its vitamin content and general benefits!”
    Look at it this way, it certainly IS more beneficial, nutritious and much better tasting than Prevagen.

7. Enjoy! Still almost a month to go until we Brits engage in our annual turkey wrestling, but your menu has started to get me enthused.

I leave out the stuffing (for ease of cooking- hey, it’s just a really big chicken with a bit more body fat), but compensate with a massive platter of bacon wrapped stuffing balls (sausage meat, prunes, cranberries, onion, sage and thyme…).

Happy Thanksgiving to All.

8. Kai Lowell says:

Your pie recipes have become a yearly go-to for the festivities here – this year I’ve made the cranberry lime for church and the key lime for the family meal. Thank you for those!

Perhaps next year I’ll finally try the chocolate pecan…

9. Russ Wyborski says:

My favorite pecan pie is a Bourbon Pecan Pie. Two shots (60 ml) of bourbon to the pie. Two shots of bourbon straight up or in your favorite drink to the baker.