Skip to main content

Academic Careers

Shorter Permit Procedures for Foreign Scientists to Work in Spain

The Spanish Minister of Science and Innovation (MICINN) announced earlier this week that non-European visiting scientists will now be able to obtain residence and work permits within 45 days instead of the current 90.
To get such a permit, you first need to find and sign a hosting agreement with an accredited university, national research institute, or other research center in Spain. The permit will cover the entire duration of the research project.
The changes to the Spanish Immigration Law were adopted by the Council of Ministers last Friday. The new regulations aim to “facilitate the employment and attraction of international talent and improve the mobility of researchers,” according to the press release
About a fifth of the Ph.D. degree holders currently employed within the Spanish research system with MICINN support are foreigners. 54.8% of them come from Europe.